Revlon is hands down the Winner when it comes to creating classic no-brainer risk free lip colors in Drugstore.
I think they are the YSL of the Drugstore, because if you rank drugstore brands for the sheer range of colors, finish and consistent quality of lip colors, Revlon stands taller than others.
Do you agree? No?
Just think of Cherries in the Snow, Fire and Ice, those Lip Butters... ah, now you're nodding.. :)
Revlon's Colorburst Matte Balms have been in the market for some time but its only recently that I got a chance to buy this particular shade because most of the time they are either sold out or the tubes are opened & smeared all over!
I hate when that happens, don't you?
Price is around $8-10 CAD but I got mine on sale [yay!].
Packaging is pretty neat - a sleek matte violet-purple casing with a silver bottom.
About the product:
Like all other lip crayons, these are twistable retractable chubby crayons.
They have a minty feel - common to all Revlon Lip Crayons and I like that.
I was initially a bit worried that like some matte lippies, this one may not be very easy to apply, but it was pretty smooth in application.
However for dry skinned ladies, I would suggest prepping your lips before applying this - which is true for any matte lipsticks.
Why I love this...
The color. That's the answer in one word.
A bold violetish purple shade in a Drugstore brand? How often do you find that!
Lets all support the Drugstore brands to come up with such natty colors!
This color does not apply sheer, unless you want to dilute the finish by applying over a nude lip balm or something.It applies patchy if you try to dull the intensity by rubbing your lips.
|This happened when I tried to get a sheer color - patchy, aint it?|
This is not a true matte, its more of a Satin matte finish - which I feel is more forgiving on lips than a true matte lipstick.
I love the bold color that it gives in just 1 swipe.
This shade from Revlon has been compared to MAC's Heroine, so if you don't want to shell out for Heroine, here is the dupe!
Staying power is also pretty neat - around 4-5 hours.
It doesn't stain lips as much as Revlon Lacquer Balms, but still, there some staining.
And what I don't like...
Hmmm... tough.. Nothing much, except that when the color fades, it can be a bit patchy, so either carry your wet wipes or be ready to re-apply.
For the price, this is one bold lipstick you should try.
Making a bold lip color like this, more wearable..
If you're scared of the too bold brighter color, here is what you can do to make it more easier.
- Exfoliate your lips with a lip scrub or sugar-honey mix
- Apply lip balm and lightly massage your lips in circular motions. Leave for 10mins.
- Apply a tinted lip balm or sheer lipstick - either in a very nude shade or a shade closer to the bold lip color you're trying to wear.
- Avoid a stronger shades cos that can dilute the lip crayon shade.
- If you have a spatula, warm the spatula under candle flame. If not, bring a candle flame or lighter slightly close to the crayon tip, so that the wax can melt a bit. Caution - don't bring it too close, as the intent is only to get the wax a bit more melted and not to burn the stuff!
- The purpose is to get the color is a bit more creamier. Use a lip brush or a q-tip in either of the above case to apply the lip color.
- Start applying from the inner part of your lips to the out side.
- Once you have applied the lip color, give a minute or two to set. Do not rub your lips or it may transfer.
- Now, if you're happy with the color, good. If you wish to dilute the color further, use a pink-ish nude lip gloss or tinted lip balm over this.
Remember that this may result in a non-matte effect. If you wish to get a diluted matte look, go for the "Blot- and Re-apply" till you get the color and finish you want.