Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Sunscreen for Sensitive skin: Lumixyl Moisture Lock Sunscreen SPF 30

I got this as part of a trial kit, while I was doing my makeup artist course at Canadian Beauty College. I was suffering from some chemical burns [Darn you, Sally Hansen Insta Pod Hair removal cream!] and my face looked scary. The worst part was I was traveling and I needed a sunscreen but couldn't use my regular ones as it irritated my wounds.


The lovely Jen at the CBC Mississauga office suggested using this cream and she gave me a trial kit free [thank you Jen!] along with my purchase of Lumixyl's Topical Brightening cream. I tried the sunscreen for a week and more; it was a good time to try as it was April-May here in Toronto when we get some nice summer sun.

About the product: Lumixyl is one of those Spa/Speciality-Retailer-Only kind of product that is not easily available in stores.  I read in their website that some of their products are developed through research at Stanford, which is impressive.



This product costs around $50 which is kinda high for a sunscreen. You can read more about what they have to say about this sunscreen here: http://lumixyl.com/4-protect/


My Experience: I used this over my wounds during my travels and I must say - this is one of the very few products I could use on my face without any irritation. This is a white lotion that looks and feels like most other sunscreen lotions.  On massaging on to face, this initially leaves a white cast which then gets absorbed pretty fast. One thing I liked is that this didn't leave much oily sheen on face like many other sunscreens. Regarding whether it protected me effectively, I have no idea of measuring except by noticing that my skin didn't darken as it usually does if I don't apply sunscreen.

 Overall: I am okay with the results, but I wouldn't repurchase because:
1. My skin is normally not sensitive and even if sensitive, I have got my trusty Lotus Herbals sunscreen with SPF 70 :). So I don't the point of using this as it is just SPF 30.

2. It is expensive for a sun-screen.

3. Lumixyl sells in China and they must definitely be doing animal testing- so another reason to say Hi to Lotus Herbals Sunscreen.

3 comments:

  1. Your review of lumixyl is good but your conclusions are all wrong. The makers will tell - they did no animal testing. This product is made in the USA not china. No animal testing at all! Second, this is a medical grade skin protction product, made with 100% physical sunscreen agents, NO CHEMICAL sunscreens. Your Lotus is full of chemical sunscreens. That is fine for keep a sunburn away, but not fine for keeping your skin healthy and preventing aging, hyperpmentation, etc. Lumixyl is a broad spectrum SPF 30 without using chemical agents that most other sunscreens use. So it is not just sunburn protection, it is true skin protection and that is why it is carried/sold mostly by Dermatologists. It cost more than those other sunscreens, but it is so much more than a sunscreen, so much better for your skin. So worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Locals,

      Check this website: http://www.lumixylchina.com/
      Also I think ultimately all sunscreen products are chemicals -so really dont see your difference..
      But thanks for your view points....

      Delete
    2. All sunscreen products are not chemicals. There are two types of sunscreens - physical blocks and chemical blocks. Here is the difference; a physical block is made from minerals (not chemicals), meaning either titanium dioxide, or zinc oxide. Think if them like little tiny rock chips - they are micro particles that sit on your skin and reflect the sun/light away from your skin. Then there are chemical blocks which is pretty much anything else. They work by soaking into your skin and absorbing the sun energy/light and then disbursing it. Chemical blocks work well for stopping a sunburn but they trigger hyperpigmentation in certain skin types that are prone to get hyperpigmentation. Lumixyl is one of the few sunscreens made only with physicial sun screen ingredients. Why? because it is very expensive. Your "Lotus" sunscreen has chemical sunscreen - very good for stopping a sunburn, but not very good for skin - promoting healthy skin and reducing hyperpigmentation. That is the difference and it is also why as you say "this is one of the very few products I could use on my face without any irritation." Its that little difference in the sunscreen that make a big difference for skin health. Dont get me wrong - you have a great review, but i just wanted to make sure this important point gets out there.

      I also understand that Lumixyl is sold in China - it is sold in many countries around the world, but it was developed in California with absolutely NO ANIMAL TESTING! So if that is a concern for you - you can rest assured! I have confirmed that with the company (Envy Medical) that makes Lumixyl myself!! Thanks so much!

      Delete

Please post your comments!!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...